Oral cancers have been on the rise for several years, and the ability to diagnose and treat cancer in the early stages has never been more critical. In dentistry, we have always been vigilant to the fact that the mouth is a place that few take the time to examine, which makes it very important that routine dental visits are more involved that simply getting the teeth cleaned. As a result, manufacturers have developed new, innovative ways to screen the sub levels of the soft tissue for early signs of oral cancer. One of the first devices to effectively screen in this manner was the VELscope®, which uses a specific wavelength of light to fluoresce oral tissues in a way that enhances our ability to recognize and zero-in on potential cellular changes.
Common Symptoms of oral cancer include:
- Persistent sore throat or feeling that something is caught in the throat
- Unexplained bleeding in the mouth
- Persistent or lasting sores in mouth, face, or neck that will not heal over a 2-week period
- Lumps, bumps, or rough spots on the gums, lips, or cheeks
- Red, white, or speckled patches in the mouth
- Difficulty swallowing
- Change in the fit of a denture
The VELscope is one more tool in Designing Smiles PSC’s belt that allows Dr. Dennis Jenkins to better care for our patients. If you or someone you know has questions about their oral condition, please do not hesitate to call our team at 812-246-3386. We encourage you to call today and schedule your oral cancer screening in Sellersburg, Indiana. You could be saving a life, including your own!!